Local SEO and Google Maps Optimization Resources
I’ve compiled a list below of helpful resources for small business owners that want to improve their search engine rankings and their Google maps positioning.
If you’re too busy for the DIY approach or you need an expert on your side, contact me for more information about improving your website’s local search and Google Maps rankings.
Local SEO Tools
- DIYSEO – This is the service I recommend for small business owners that want a more affordable way to manage their SEO. It’s easy to use, it works, and it’s very affordable. Start here and then call in a consultant if you have a specific problem that you can’t overcome.
- Universal Business Listing – Adds your business to dozens of local and yellow pages sites including Google Maps for $30 a year.
- Google Keyword Research Tool – A great tool for finding out what people are searching for so you can target your site effectively. Also an excellent starting point for PPC advertising research.
- Whitespark Local Citation Finder – A free tool that helps you find local citation sources for you. You can then add your business to those sources and the citations will improve your Google Maps ranking.
- Aweber Email Marketing – The email marketing service I use. Use it to communicate with your customers and build a list of loyal subscribers. Email marketing is an effective tool that many local businesses overlook.
General SEO Tools
- Open Site Explorer – Allows you to see who is linking to your website and evaluate your site’s link authority in major search engines. Also allows you to compare the domain authority of your site against your competitors.
- SEOmoz PRO Tools – A very sophisticated tool set that allows you to track your rankings, monitor your competition, and improve the rankings of your site. I’m a member and I highly recommend joining if you can afford it.
Local SEO Articles
- Local Search Ranking Factors – an industry survey that ranks the factors most influential to your local SEO and Google Maps rankings.
- The Beginner’s Checklist for Small Business SEO
- The Basics of Local SEO (video)
- The Beginner’s Guide to SEO
- How to do Keyword Research for Local Sites with Google AdWords Traffic Data
- One Dead Simple Tactic for Better Rankings in Google Local
Local SEO Blogs
These blogs cover local search engine optimization or SEO for Google Maps on a regular basis.
- Local SEO Guide
- Understanding Google Maps
- Natural Search Blog
- Lead-Gen SEO
- The Link Spiel – more of a link building blog, but often with a local focus.
- SEOmoz Blog – covers SEO for all kinds of sites, not just local. I included it here because the content is excellent.
Contact me to suggest a valuable local SEO resource that’s not on this page or for a local SEO consultation.